We work with the UK's public and private sector organisations to ensure excellence in the delivery of semi-independent living.
East Anglia
Bedford, Bedfordshire
0330 113 5980
7 Days a week

Provision of accommodation for 16 and 17 year olds who may be homeless and/or require accommodation

Supported accommodation for 16 plus, designed to prepare them for independent living.

Get help to find somewhere to live if you’re 16 or 17 and have nowhere to stay.

If you’re aged 16 or 17 the social services department at your council can help you.

Social services should find you a temporary place to stay while they work out what help you need. They’ll check to see if you can return home but can’t force you to go back if you don’t feel safe there.

They can give you support and find you somewhere to stay if:

  • you can’t return home and have nowhere else to live
  • you’re staying with friends or another family and have been asked to leave
  • your home is unsafe for you (for example, because you’re at risk of violence or abuse)

Contact your council and ask to speak to a duty social worker. Find contact details for your local council on GOV.UK.

If you go to the council’s housing department

You can ask the council’s housing department for help. They must:

  • provide emergency accommodation if you need it
  • assess your situation and draw up a personal housing plan
  • refer you to social services for a ‘child in need’ assessment

Please bear in mind that the housing department may not be able to help if you don’t meet immigration and residence conditions.

What you could be offered

The council may offer you a place in a:

  • hostel or foyer
  • foster carer’s home
  • shared house with other young people
  • volunteer’s home (through a scheme called Nightstop)

You shouldn’t be housed in bed and breakfast when you’re 16 or 17 even if it’s an emergency.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this:
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website Close